Try This Fantastic Breakfast and Surprise Your Family – Kipper and Boiled Egg Hash!!!
230g packed boil-in-the-bag kippers
2 large red-skinned potatoes, such as Desiree, about 500g (1lb 2oz), in total peeled and grated
2 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp cumin seeds, roughly crushed
1 tbsp dried chilly flakes
1 bunch of spring onions, trimmed and sliced
Small bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
Sea salt and pepper
Lemon or lime wedges, to serve
- Put the bag of kippers and the eggs into a pan of boiling water and cook for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thoroughly rinse the grated potatoes and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and add the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 10-12 minutes over a low heat, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, cumin and chilli flakes and cook a further 1 minute.
- Drain the kippers and eggs. Cool the eggs under cold running water, then shell and roughly chop them. Open the kipper bag and carefully pour the juices into the potatoes in the frying pan.
- Roughly flake the kipper flesh with a fork and add to the pan together with the chopped eggs and spring onions. Mix well and heat through gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped coriander and serve, with lemon or lime wedges.
This is a speedy spin on that all-time brilliant breakfast, kedgeree. I’m a real fan of boil-in-the-bag kippers and I always add the buttery juices from inside the bag too.