Pancetta Potato Cakes!!!
4 medium floury potatoes, such as Maris Piper or King Edward, about 800g (1 ¾ lb) in total, scrubbed
125g (4oz) cubed pancetta
1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp vegetable oil (if needed)
Sea salt and pepper
- Cook the whole potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan and add the pancetta. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the shallot and cook for a few minutes more until it has softened and the pancetta is crisp and golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta and shallot to a large bowl.
- Drain the potatoes. When they are cool enough to handle, coarsely grate them into the bowl. Add some salt and pepper and mix well together. Firmly shape the mixture in the palm of the hands into eight small ovals.
- Using the same pan, fry the potato cakes for 3-4 minutes on each side until crisp and golden brown. There should be enough fat left in the pan from the pancetta, but if not add a splash of oil.
- Drain the crisp potato cakes on kitchen paper and serve while still hot.
This Italian – influenced hash brown is irresistible. For a scrumptious weekend brunch, top it with a poached egg.