Irresistible Lemon Custard Tarts !!!
350g packed puff pastry, thawed if frozen
1 vanilla pod
300ml (1/2 pint) milk
1 egg yolk
50g (2oz) caster sugar
25g (1oz) plain flour
Grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
Icing sugar, to dust (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200oC (fan oven 180oC), gas mark 6. Roll out the pastry as thinly as possible, then stump out 24 rounds, each 7cm (2 ¾ inches)in diameter. Use to line two 12-hole mini muffin tins.
- Fill each pastry case with a dense ball of foil. Bake for 10-15 minutes until crisp and light golden, remove the foil and set aside. Lower the oven temperature to 170oC (fan oven 150oC), gas mark 3.
- To make the filling, split the vanilla pod length ways and place in a saucepan with the milk. Heat until almost boiling, then set aside for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, beat together the egg, egg yolk, sugar and flour in a bowl until smooth.
- Remove the vanilla pod from the warm milk, then gradually pour on to the egg mixture. Return to a clean pan and stir over a medium heat until simmering. When the mixture begins to simmer, beat it quite vigorously to get rid of any lumps. Stir in the lemon zest and juice.
- Divide the lemon filling among the pastry cases. Bake the tarts for 10-15 minutes until the custard filling has set. Leave in the tins for a few minutes, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar before serving if you like.